Friday, August 1, 2014

August Currently

Wow - August?  Really?!?  Where, oh where, did our summer go?  Actually, I'm not sure if it is because I am entering my first year as a teacher and the anticipation is getting to me...but that was probably the fastest summer break of MY LIFE!

To welcome August the right way, I am linking up with Farley over at Oh Boy Fourth Grade to bring you August Currently (which also happens to be my very FIRST Currently - yay!)....


Listening - I have taken every opportunity to attend PD sessions for first-year teachers this summer.  This week I attended sessions that focused on issues that teachers face in their first year.  Consider me a sponge - I will do whatever it takes to relieve some of the stress that this first year will inevitably bring to me.  So bring on the PD! :) 

Loving - I had forgotten what it was like to have a favorite show and to be able to watch it on the night that it airs.  Well guess what - all summer long I have been watching my favorite shows on their designated nights!!  I HAVE NOT been searching for little chunks of time here and there to catch up on a recording!  It's the simple things :)

Thinking - I only got to go to the beach for five days this summer.  I know that it may sound like a lame complaint to those of you who haven't taken a legitimate vacation in years, but you have to understand that I. Am. Spoiled!  My sisters live in Ft. Lauderdale, so I make it a point to get down to those blue waters as often as possible.  Also, the hubby is Greek, and we fly over the pond every other year to visit family.  I didn't get to either place this summer...and so yes, I am whining! *sniffle sniffle*  I was built for sun, sand, and surf.  Salt runs through my veins.  So I am salty this summer...

Wanting - My school is home to a camp over the summer.  Today was the camp's last day.  Building Services will hopefully clean the primary cluster first thing next week.  Until that happens, I can't move anything into my room.  As you may have noticed from one of my previous posts, I have bins and boxes stacked high in my basement.  My anxiety about getting moved in and ready for the kiddos is quickly mounting.  I only really have the end of next week to at least get all my "stuff" in there before I have to attend New Educator Orientation the week of August 11th.  The week after that is Preservice.  I'm running out of time....AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! 

Needing - Sooooooo, my brow girl left me.  I don't know where she went, but Brow Bar refuses to release her new home address to me.  I can't imagine why!!!  I just want to knock on her door and ask her to please wax my brows.  I mean, she didn't tell me she was moving....she left no forwarding address...  Doesn't she know that I look like Oscar the Grouch right now???  I can't greet my first Firsties (and their parents...and my new colleagues...oh boy...) with brows like these!!  I desperately need to find a new brow girl now!  Problem is, I don't trust anyone.  And I don't do places that double dip!!!!  OH NOOOOOO!  This girl right here is a GERMAPHOBE and PROUD OF IT!!!

1st Days - Well folks, we're wrapping it up now.  I hope those of you who are already back are having a fabulous first few weeks!  As for me, I start New Educator Orientation on August 11th.  After that is Preservice (August 18th).  I meet the kiddos for Open House on August 22nd, and they officially join me in the classroom on August 25th.  It's coming so fast!!!

So cheers to a beautiful school year everyone!  XoXo!!

7 comments:

  1. I am jealous you got to go to the beach. I didn't make it there this summer. I hope you can get in your room soon. I am hoping my classroom is all cleaned and ready to go.
    Kate
    Fun in ECSE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Nadya! Welcome to teaching! AND Welcome to Currently!
    My house is also filled with boxes of things needing to go back into my classroom--and, like you, I am waiting (less-than-patiently) to get into school. I have another week to go--I hope I can tunnel my way out of the house until then!
    Loved your "brow commentary." I hope you find a new brow gal soon!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim :) I am so excited to have made the jump into teaching. I was doing something I really just fell into for a little over 10 years, and now I am finally able to do something I really love. Work doesn't have to feel like a job, right?!

      Come back for more commentary on other fun topics :) See you around bloggy world!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your first year teaching and your first Currently! I'm going into my 20th year of teaching, but my 3rd year in 2nd Grade. Enjoy what you have left of Summer Break! I wish I had more time. I go back on August 5. Good luck as you start your first year of teaching!

    Lori
    The Reinspired Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! I am so excited to begin my first year!! I'm sure it will fly by just as quickly as this summer has! Enjoy your 20th year - that is a beautiful number ;) I look forward to all of the experiences I will gain over the next 20 years!!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your first year teaching! This month was my first currently too. Where/how are you listening to PD sessions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Glad to see I wasn't the only newbie at Farley's Currently! I have been sitting in PD sessions throughout the summer getting ready for my first year. I will be working in a Maryland school system that offers a TON of PD all the time, so I am absorbing as much as possible before I jump in head first!

      Thanks for stopping by! Come back and visit again soon :)

      ~Nadya

      Delete